A wonderful Czech crystal fortune telling ball from c.1930.
This rare and unusual piece of Czech glass is a 32 sided die. It was manufactured around 1930 for the purpose of fortune telling but as divination was illegal, it was marketed as a fortune telling game.
As these beautiful crystal balls were individually crafted, each one is unique. They all differ in appearance, size, weight and, as they are now aged, they also differ in condition. From the course of my collecting and research, it appears that there are three sizes; large, being about 3cm in diameter, medium being about 2.5cm and small, being about 2cm in diameter. To tell each apart from the other, I have given each divination ball a name taken from constellations. This beauty has been named ‘Titania’.
I have written a short blog on these wonderful crystals, so if you’d like further information, you can read it here: kimscurios.com
Here are the details for the unique Czech crystal ball, Ourania:
- Meaning – Queen of the Faeries
- Size - Large
- Weight – 27.18 grams
- Markings – The numbers are clear and the 0 has the words - Made in Czechoslovakia.
- Condition: Good condition with wear (tiny scratches and chips) to the edges of the numbers where the ball has been used previously. A line appearing similar to a scratch but I believe this happened in the manufacturing process.
- Container – An early 20th century silver spelter jewellery casket in an Art Nouveau floral style and lined with a pale pink material with a woven edging. The lining is slightly grubby but expected for its age.
- Accessories – An ivory organza bag and a small plain Oriental type wooden stand.
Each Czech crystal fortune telling ball comes with an instruction booklet produced by Kim’s Curiosity Shop from a collection of 1930’s vintage instructions. The booklet also includes a short history of the Czech fortune telling die and information about Czech glass. The booklet is printed on high quality parchment paper bound with ribbon and comes in a wax-sealed brown craft paper envelope.